The Ultimate Guide to Sewer Jetters
The Basics of Sewer JettingSewer jetters are high-pressure machines used to clear blockages, obstacles, and buildup from the insides of pipes, sewers, and drains. A high-pressure hose with a nozzle is inserted into the sewer and uses pressurized water to clear the obstruction. They are available with hot or cold water and can be electric, gas, or diesel-powered.
The Difference Between Pressure Washers & Sewer JettersIndustrial and commercial pressure washers and sewer jetters both come with a pump, engine, pressure control, and are used to clear grit, grime, and messes. Unlike pressure washers, sewer jetters are explicitly designed to remove blockages or buildup. They feature a lightweight, abrasion-resistant hose with more flexibility than pressure washers. Sewer jetters may also include other useful features, such as a pressure gauge, pulsation valve, and other accessories.
GPM or PSI?Two measurements are used when discussing the capabilities of a sewer jetter: GPM and PSI. GPM, or gallons per minute, pertains to the amount of water that passes through your sewer jetter. PSI, or pounds per square inch, refers to the intensity of pressure at which the water leaves the sewer jetter. Which specification matters more will depend on your application. A sewer jetter with an adequate PSI will cut through settled masses such as dirt, tree roots, hard grease, etc. Sewer jetters with a higher GPM are better at flushing out debris, larger rocks, grease logs, and more.
How to Choose a Sewer JetterBefore purchasing sewer jetters for your industrial or commercial projects, make sure you understand the conditions under which the equipment will be operating. Ensure your jetter machine meets your unique criteria by answering questions such as:
- What levels of GPM and/or PSI do you require?
- Does your application need hot water, or will cold water suffice?
- Do you have budget restrictions?
- How often do you plan to use the sewer jetter?
Types of Industrial & Commercial Sewer JettersOnce you’ve determined your sewer jetter needs, you can choose the model that best fits your specifications. There are many types of jetters available on the market. For instance, at Cam Spray, we offer cold water sewer jetters powered by electric motors or gas or diesel engines. We also manufacture equipment with hot water capabilities.
- Electric-Powered Drain Jetters minimize disruptions on job sites to provide quiet, dependable clearing. They are economical and portable with extremely low-maintenance motors.
- Gas-Powered Hydro Jetters are the most commonly utilized. Portable and easily mounted to a trailer or skid, these sewer jetters can go wherever blockages occur. They are not recommended for indoor use.
- Diesel-Powered Jetter Machines are ideal for outdoor applications in demanding or rugged environments. They are not recommended for indoor use.
Your Expert Guides to Sewer Jetters & Other High-Pressure SolutionsSince we first opened our doors in 1963, Cam Spray has sought to be fair and honest while positively impacting your life and business. That’s why we created this guide to sewer jetters as well as providing you with technical information, training services, and other unparalleled resources.
Contact us today with more questions or for help selecting a sewer jetter. Request a quote to start your order. Our highly trained customer service team is standing by to assist you.
Our American made pressure washers and drain jetters are built the old-fashioned way: one at a time and tested by hand